Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's day ... I'm sorry ... what?

Not sure what the big deal is with St. Patrick's day in the U.S but let me tell you it is a big deal, for the first time since I live here I'm wearing green just because I can't stand people pinching me! (I know what a grouch ... sorry I just don't like it)

My husband and I went out this past weekend to celebrate a friend's birthday and of course we ended up at the local Irish pub (probably one of the few places in town) and let me tell you it was GREEN day, green beer, people dress in green, green hats, green beads ... everything ... to me is just an excuse to party, which if that's what rock your boat, good for you ... I just don't see much point in it. I guess the same could be say by some people who doesn't get Valentine's Day or ... I don't know ... earth day ... and whatever day ... I guess that's what St. Patrick's is to me ... "whatever" day.

In Chile - as a predominant Catholic nation (not as much as it used to though) - we have a name for each day of the year, so of course today is really "San Patricio" and if your name is Patricio o Patricia you get to celebrate, nothing big, some people makes a big deal about it, others don't. My middle name - before I got married (that's good for another post, since in Chile you don't have to change your name when you are getting married, let me tell you it was hard for me) - is Patricia so today I'm celebrating, again nothing big :) is more of a saying than an actual party, if that makes sense.

Point of this post is ... I really don't understand what is there to celebrate but my son looked so cute on his St. Patrick's day Shirt I had to put it on here.

But I really would like to know what's the point, can you tell me? Do you understand the reason?



note: if you have Irish blood in you don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad you have a day to celebrate your ancestors. This has nothing to do with that.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Here you go :)

Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated worldwide by the those of Irish descent and increasingly by non-Irish people (usually in New Zealand, Australia, and North America). Celebrations are generally themed around all things Irish and, by association, the colour green. Both Christians and non-Christians celebrate the secular version of the holiday by wearing green, eating Irish food and/or green foods, imbibing Irish drink (such as Irish stout, Irish Whiskey or Irish Cream) and attending parades.

St. Patrick's Blue, not green, was the colour long-associated with St. Patrick. Green, the colour most widely associated with Ireland, with Irish people, and with St. Patrick's Day in modern times, may have gained its prominence through the phrase "the wearing of the green" meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing. At many times in Irish history, to do so was seen as a sign of Irish nationalism or loyalty to the Roman Catholic faith. St. Patrick used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pre-Christian Irish. The wearing of and display of shamrocks and shamrock-inspired designs have become a ubiquitous feature of the saint's holiday. The change to Ireland's association with green rather than blue probably began around the 1750's.

Jenny P. said...

I don't know anything about St. Patricks Day... but I do know that is one cute kid. :)